National Plan for Korean-American Ministry
The United Methodist Church's General Board of Global Ministries has worked with the Korean United Methodist Council to establish the Korean-American National Plan for ministry. The council agreed on three vision areas for the Korean American National Plan for 2005-08:
- Servant-leadership formation for clergy, laity and youth.
- Next-generation ministries to develop English ministries and campus ministries for English-speaking 1.5 and 2nd generations.
- Congregational development, nurture and redevelopment focusing on new Korean-language ministries, existing Korean United Methodist churches and Korean mission congregations.
The council also set six goals:
- Implement an effective servant-leadership formation strategy and program for clergy, professional staff and lay leaders for first and next generations. Emphasis will be on spiritual servant-leadership formation, the United Methodist connection, community outreach and justice ministry, mission interpretation, intergenerational partnership and cross-cultural communication.
- Emphasize a leadership formation program and integration plan for Korean-American clergywomen, focusing on ministry in Korean congregations as well as the overall United Methodist Church.
- Strengthen existing next-generation congregations and campus ministries, and establish 15 new ones.
- Implement a strategy to recruit next-generation men and women for training and ordination through United Methodist-related seminaries.
- Help existing Korean-American mission congregations become self-sufficient, strengthen chartered Korean United Methodist churches and establish 15 new Korean congregations.
- Expand culturally relevant resource materials and national data on Korean-American United Methodist churches and mission.
Through the national Igniting Ministry welcoming and invitation ministry, four television commercials have been produced for use by Korean-American congregations along with supporting newspaper advertisign . View the commercials and newspaper ads at the Igniting Ministry Media Warehouse.
To learn more about the United Methodist Global Ministries Korean-American National Plan, CLICK HERE.